Sunday, October 16, 2011

Chicago Marathon Race Report

Wow...I can't believe another year has passed and that I've completed my fourth marathon...I would have NEVER thought that back in 2006 when I graduated grad school that this would be the life I have...It is pretty darn wonderful...

So Lindsay, Catherine and myself piled into the car and made the 4-5hour drive to Kalamazoo, MI for our first stop. We decided that since we wanted to head to the expo bright and early on the Friday and to be as rested as possible that it might be best if we drive part way...It was the BEST idea ever...Thursday ended up being extremely hectic at work and some other things going on...I was so relieved when we got in the car and were on the road...It was an easy drive and we soon tucked ourselves in for the night...

We woke up and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and were soon on our way...We arrived in Chicago around Noon and pre-registered at the hotel and we were on our way to catch the Expo Bus near Niketown!





Once at the expo we picked up our kits, shirts and started to pick up as many free samples as possible! I may have picked up 3 huge (and heavy) bottles of coconut water :) Lindsay was not too thrilled when they made her plastic bag break a la Kevin from Home Alone...Don't worry...I helped her and got her another bag....

We then got in line where I met Ryan Hall...American Marathon Record Holder....

He was beyond nice...It was really pretty awesome meeting him.





We then headed for a fabulous dinner at Webber's Grill...The next day me and Lindsay toured the city....and just took it easy before we met Catherine for a pasta dinner....





We headed back to the hotel nice and early and just relaxed watching TV before we headed to bed...Here is my race outfit...I don't have too many pictures of the race itself yet....When I get more I'll post...






The Race:

Well there is not much to tell....we got to the start line at the same time as last year but this time around it was PACKED...I couldn't make it to where the 4:15:00 pace bunny was and in fact I couldn't make it into the Open Corral...I was too scared to jump the fence....so I waited and started with the 5:30:00h group...All was good and then my garmin singnal messed up after about running for two minutes...I always know that this could happen and especially in Chicago but the pace was not just a little off it was WAY off...I used the pace band and my general time...


Splits:

5km: 30:48 6:07 per km or a 9:55 per mile **This isn't too bad...passsing people
10km: 1:00:30: 6:03 per km or 9:34 per mile ** Wow it is hot...lots of people
15km: 1:31:01: 6:04 per km or 9:50 per mile **I am stuck I can't pass anyone...it is so HOT
20km: 2:02:29: 6:07 per km or 10:08 per mile **Okay settle in...you can do this...
21.1km: 2:09:32 *Not great let's got for a 4:30h as it is hot
25km: 2:35:56 6:13per km or 10:45 per mile *I am stuck again...can't pass...MOVE PEOPLE
30km: 3:11:59 6:23 per km or 11:43 per mile **I am too hot...I am fading....
35km: 3:50:39 6:35 per km or 12:27 per mile ** Have to walk because of stomach cramps...
40km: 4:30:52 6:46 per km or 12:57 per mile **PLEASE let me beat last years time...
42.2km: 4:47:00 6:48 per km....*VERY happy to be done...

Basically I crashed and burned...I was passing too many people couldn't run a tangent...and the biggest thing was the Heat...I am trying to not beat myself up too much over this as I am so proud to have finished but after my great results at Mid-Summer and my 10km tempos....I was hoping to beat my PB of 4:27:53....This fall was not it...

I have run a few times since Chicago and am struggling with some knee pain...I have no idea of what my next plans are but I do know that in the spring I'll be running another full...there is no doubt in my mind....




9 comments:

  1. Sorry it wasn't the race you wanted, but congrats on pushing through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great recap and congrats for gutting it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it wasn't the day you had hoped for, but it was hot out there!(of course its MUCH cooler here this weekend). Congrats on another great finish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I thought it was crowded at Scotia yesterday. Ha!! A lot of my friends (especially those in "Open") had a VERY hard time finding a pace in Chicago... it was just so crowded!

    And of course the heat.

    Be proud of your training and everything you accomplished this year and OF COURSE finishing another Chicago Marathon. Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every race is different and I think we can never know what to expect until we get out there. The thing is keeping it together and crossing the line. WTG, Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I had a lot of people tell me I could do any stroke I wanted. Congrats on your marathon! You did it. Have you done other marathons too? I know it was your 4th but have you done others than Chicago?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on a hard race, Chicago is tough and you did it. You should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on another marathon complete! Chicago is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry the race didn't go quite as you hoped, but congratulations on your marathon!! No doubt having to weave and spend a lot of energy passing people played some role along with the heat. I hope your knee is starting to feel better!!

    ReplyDelete