Monday, October 18, 2010

Recap # 3 Bank of America Chicago Marathon...This is it!

Hi Bloggy World,

Again I apologize that this is taking me forever to complete these recaps...I am just loving the down time right now...(I have a new 'toy' that I have been playing with)

I woke up at 5am the morning (actually 4am because Jamie set his iphone to Ontario time...pretty funny actually)...Lindsay and I got up and shared a bagel with peanut butter...this was one of the first times I have ever been able to eat before a marathon...I considered that a pretty good breakfast...

The stomach was a little nervous but surprisingly I was pretty calm...I wrote on my hands and arms "believe", "trust your training", "1000+ km > 42.2km" and the hubby wrote "Birthday Girl". This was really helpful to me...just to be able to take a glance at them during the race and reinforce positive thoughts and all the hard work I have done...

Our friend Catherine, her mum and her husband Lennie picked us up at 6:15am...We took a few snap shots then it was OFF to the starting line...Lennie was able to drive us super close which really helped out...



Pre-Race Outfit Pictures


Me and the Hubby

We said our goodbyes and knew that we would see them again shortly around 5km and potentially when we hit Chinatown...The drive took no time to get to the start and as soon as we got there we got into the lines for the port-o-potty's....At this point they were not that long...I did not find this to be a problem whatsoever. We said our goodbyes to Catherine and then Lindsay and I headed to situate ourselves in between the 4:30 and 4:45 pace bunny. We chatted with a few people in line, the American National Anthem was sung and then the gun went off at 7:30am. They started to play U2's "Beautiful Day" which was the 10-10-10 Theme Song...It was a great way to take my mind off of the race and just enjoy the music....The Open Corral was extremely packed...We were told by our Clinic leader to steer clear of the fence line as people panic and start to jump in...I was happy we did that because sure enough people started to jump in...That was a little scary.

We crossed the starting line at 7:49:35am I was expecting a half hour so I thought that 19mins was pretty good...I could have been more aggressive in starting sooner but I was just trying to take in every minute!! I really wanted to break that 4:45...so I wanted to run a 6:30pace (averaging out my walk breaks)


The Hubby was able to take some great pictures of the Lead Pack :) (In my dreams I am Kenyan)

5km: 32:09 (6:25 pace or a 10:21): No walk breaks taken during this time. I was going a little fast and trying to settle into a rhythm. I decided to stick to the right hand side...Surprisingly I wasn't dodging that many people. There were a ton of people...a ton...and yes the following picture has many superhero's and they passed me...


The Hubby and the rest of the gang briefly saw me at the 5km mark...They yelled out my name but I had already passed them. So no picture there...It was really exciting to see them. I concentrated on slowing down my pace. I was worried that I would go out WAY to fast then fade.

*At 45mins I took a GU...Chocolate Mint...super yummy...stomach feeling good...

10km: 1:04:44 (6:28/10:30 pace): Feeling pretty amazing...still haven't taken any walk breaks because it was a little too congested. Having sips of Gatorade at every station...I was carrying my own water and taking it while running quite frequently. I knew that I was going to have to hydrate quite regularly in order to keep going. So far so good.

15km: 1:37:19 (6:29/10:30 pace): Still feeling really strong and have settled into a really nice place. Loved hearing everyone call my name, say "Go Canada Go" also multiple people wished me a "Happy Thanksgiving". I loved looking around at all the different people. I loved running through all the different borough's....boystown and Chinatown were by far my favourites....great music and people wearing costumes and cheering...

1.2 million spectators...they were so amazing...handing out their own Water, Pretzel, candy, Kleenex...so wonderful...people can be so generous :) We need more events like these.

*Second GU taken

21.1km (Half Marathon) 2:17:10 (6:30/10:32pace) I am doing great and fairly consistent with my pacing...This is where I start to notice the heat...we begin running into direct sunlight and we weren't getting any breeze...My plan at this point changed...I knew that I couldn't continue to have a 4:35:59 finish...My face was really red, I was starting to overheat...go with plan B....under 5 hour finish....

25km 2:43:58 (6:33/11:03 pace)...I have now officially slowed down...I am taking in as much Gatorade and water as possible at each rest stop. Still pretty happy with my pace at this time...Stomach starting to get a little funny due to Gatorade...

30km: 3:19:44 (6:39/11:31 pace)...Wow it is hot out...I took another gel...loved the taste...took lots of water with it...Mentally I am on fire...I keep looking down at my hands/arms and remind myself that I am going to finish...I am super thirsty and HOT....I know that I will have a massive heat rash on my face....I am dumping water on myself and running through the hoses that people have out...Thank goodness for those...

*The Hubby spots me in Chinatown...takes a photo...I give him a hug and am off...he takes my fuel belt for me...thought that at this point I could just use water and Gatorade...I did not want the weight of the belt anymore...I wanted to be light as a feather...


35km: 3:56:06(6:44/11:43 pace)....So hot...I have NEVER been so THIRSTY in my entire life...I knew I had properly hydrated the week/days before and was taking in a lot during the race...it was just a hot hot day...can't tell if I am sweating any more...body covered in salt...starting to walk through every aid station to get enough in my system...

4:45 pace bunny passes me...I try to keep up but decide...finishing strong and happy on my birthday is by far better than finishing in a crusty mood...

40km: 4:33:15 (6:49/11:58 pace) Remind myself that my friend Tiffany, her husband Mike and daughter Maggie will be at mile 26 to cheer me on...I get a really great mental boost! Just keep running...you are sooooooooo close! I see Tiffany...such a motivator and pick up the pace to finish in: 4:49:08

Me with the Medal...Feeling great!

Ahhh sitting down...sooo good


Reunited with my friend Lindsay who also had a PB


Visiting with Tiffany and Maggie with the AWESOME sign they made me!


Me and the Hubby...who did amazing to follow me around the city...


Just before dinner...Race shirts...Chicago 10-10-10 Bondi Bands and our kick butt medals!



Dinner at the Cheesecake Factory!

Best Birthday EVER!

Thoughts and Ramblings:

- I had a PB by 50mins...althought it wasn't my sub 4:45:00 it was only 4mins off...it was so hot out there...my body was one giant heat rash by the end...I am really proud of this PB and I cannot wait to kill it again!

-I was actually happy that I banked some time...the first half was much cooler and had a breeze...for that day and that race it worked for me...

-It was packed...there were a TON of people...I knew this going into the race and took it in stride...this helped to not get frustrated...

-I enjoyed EVERY minute! I really honestly did...it was such a great experience...It helped to focus on this as opposed to time/time/time

-I KNOW I can sub 4:40:00 and hope to sub 4:35:00 at some point...with more training I can do it...and it excites me!

*I have not run yet...and am TOTALLY happy...taking the full week off last week was so beneficial. I often hear about Runner's burn out...I am trying to prevent this...My next post will show you what I have been up too...I plan on starting to run this week...no garmin...just run...

Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

  1. FINALLY!!! ;)

    Congrats on the huge PB on a tough day. I have been hearing all kinds of war stories about how hot and sunny it was for the second half. You held on and finished strong!!

    I can't wait to see Chicago one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great report, congratulations on the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME report! What a great race for you.
    Congrats again..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies...It took a while...Chicago was so amazing..I suggest EVERYONE to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay congrats! I got your message, that is sweet that the RC clinic is geared towards May 15th, I wonder if I can make it to this clinic, the extra support would be awesome.

    I am also up for bloggy runs sometime, send me an email :-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing job on a super hot day! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great report and congrats on the PB! Especially fantastic race on such a hot Chicago day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! It looks like you had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete