Friday, March 30, 2012

Around the Bay Race Recap

Last Sunday I ran the Around the Bay Race in Hamilton...30km... Muncie 70.3 training is going well but basically consuming my life...I am also participating in an amazing and life changing Moksha Yoga 30 Day Challenge...once it is finished I will do a post about my experience there... I had no plans to RACE Around the Bay...In fact the race was workout #17 for me that week. I did not taper or do anything differently. I went to my niece's 2nd bday party the night before and had lots of yummy pizza and multiple cupcakes. Slept in a hotel...had a brutal sleep because people were loud and stupid but I got up with plenty of time to eat a piece of toast with PB and some Gatorade, shower and feel pretty good..

  •  Race: I lined up with the 3:00:00 10:1 pace bunny 
  • Clock starts:  Bunny goes flying and I think "I'll never catch him"
  • 0-5km...Super easy...legs feel VERY fresh...I am chatting with random people.  It is still congested...I ate a Rocket

  • 5km-10km: I ran that in under an hour...still feeling quite amazing...just going with it.... 
  •  15km: Take a GU...now this is where the hills start...still feeling good...but slow the pace just a little because of hills
  • 20km:  Wow I ran that under 2hours...this won't last...I should be really tired...I trained all week...this is workout #17...hey look at that cute dog...I like that shirt....Ahh the sun is great...
  • My mind was so positive and RELAXED...I have NEVER been this relaxed
  • 25km:  Took more rockets which are my go to running treat now...I knew the BIG hill was coming up...pace was still great...
  • Get to big hill...power up 97% of it...take a small walk break...start running at top...
  • 27km...WOW 3km left...IF I keep this pace I might get under 3 hours...
  • 28km...wow I am passing a lot of people...still really crowded...hmmm...I might actually get a PB but I can't do math while running...getting confused...
  • 29km...I see my BFF Lindsay who couldn't run because of nasty stomach flu...she surprised me and took photos!!!!!  She rocks....I see her...she tells me to Keep going...I think...Oh right race!
  • 30km:  2:56:38 PB!!!!!!!
I am still in shock...and just so happy...I have never felt that relaxed...I didn't put pressure on myself...the weather helped as I could wear shorts and a t-shirt....It was a GREAT day and everything just came together...It was challenging don't get me wrong but also very natural and zen like...no inner battles...I am so happy and this has given me some confidence for my next marathon and the half ironman...

All in all..good race...sorry I haven't been blogging...training is going well but so time consuming...once 30 day Yoga challenge is complete I'll write a review...I basically think it has made ALL the difference...I am injury free and doing awesome...

Now the big PB also has to do with Weight Loss....Since January 1, 2012 I have lost 24.4lbs.  I still have another 10lbs to go before I get to an ideal racing weight...I am in no rush and am taking my time (I have until July 7th, 20212)...but man...I get it...I get why there is such thing as racing weight....for the first time in my adult life I am in the healthy BMI range (even though I do that that BMI range is mostly complete crap and not a good definition at all...but nonethe less it feels good).  I feel lighter on my toes and my knees have been behaving...

All in all...I am in a good place and need to just continue to make all these things a habit....bike is still on trainer...swimming is slowly improving...yoga is inspiring and life changing....



ME jumping...I got some pretty decent air for after 30km :)
Sweaty, Done and HAPPY!

7 comments:

  1. What a fantastic result, congratulations! Wow congrats on the weight loss too...that's amazing..you look terrific and very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your PB and your weight loss! Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Congrats on your PB and your weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, congratulations on the PB and an awesome race!!! You got some great air at the end there. You look fantastic too! Way to go on the weight loss! What is your secret?

    ReplyDelete
  5. NIce job on the weight loss. That is very impressive. That last photo is great.

    ReplyDelete