I had written a post earlier on a generic pair of Compression Socks I purchased at a local running store...they were great the first day after I wore them while driving home from the Flying Pig Half Marathon...my legs felt better than expected....probably because I had something on as opposed to nothing...after that the socks never felt the same...I did a few runs in them but never really noticed any difference in my running...I actually thought that Compression Socks were a "fad" and I would not be purchasing another pair anytime soon...
Later, I was contacted by a representative from Medi USA, the company that owns CEP compression Socks...They are one of the leading medical compression sock companies...
The socks I originally purchased were a "One Size Fits all" Circumference and they came in S,M or L...probably my first mistake and probably why they fit great the first day but not after they had stretched out and been washed! I definitely learned that they were not tight enough to be "medical grade". They needed to be tight enough in order to penetrate your deep veins and target your arteries.
So the wonderful Jamie from Medi USA asked for my leg circumference which determined the size range to get targeted compression...a few weeks later I was ROCKIN' the PINK socks...
PS. You can also see these bad boys in the latest edition of Runner's World!!!
CEP claims that you can have a 5% better performance running in their socks and use 6% less energy while doing it. That's 10-12min in a marathon! (Believe me...I need ALL the time I can get!!)
Here is what they do...All of this info was found on the CEP Website
1. Arteries with normal blood flow - Arteries are blood vessels that transport oxygen-rich blood from the heart to the organs and muscles. Veins transport de-oxygenated blood back to the heart.
2. Arteries extension - The patented compression of the CEP compression sportsocks expands the diameter of the artery: Functionality
3. An increased arterial blood circulation and supply of oxygen to the musculature - The arterial blood circulation increases by approximately 30% while at rest and by approximately 40% under physical strain. The special and patented pressure profile of the CEP compression sport socks* is a decisive element in ensuring these results.
- Increased blood circulation
- More oxygen for the musculature
- Enhanced performance
Benefits of CEP:
- An increase in performance
- A quicker run
- An easier run
- A quicker recovery
Advantages & Features:
- Pre-exercise - muscle activation and reduction of injury risk
- During Exercise - optimized performance and stabilization, reduced muscle strain
- Post-Exercise - quicker and shorter recovery phase
- Achilles heel support - additional support of the Achilles tendon protects and prevents irritable tendons.
- Ventilation channels – create a pleasant foot climate.
- Padded sole - special support of the foot sole prevents blisters.
- Anatomically-shaped inline seams – CEP socks come with a left and right model and, as a result, adjust to the anatomy of the foot for a perfect fit thanks to medi’s three-dimensional manufacturing process.
- CellTex ® Fiber finishing - a new refinement of thread (without chemical additives) facilitates the biological activation of skin cells and provides a comfortable, skin sympathetic and climate-regulating wear.
- iPS® Integrated power system - a defined compression with scientifically patented pressure profile improves blood circulation and enhances performance.
- Shin protection
- Material - 85% Polyamid, 15% Elasthan
...and the Sleeves:
*Excuse the large feet and nasty toes....If you look closely at the leg without a sleeve you can see the compression marks....
CEP compression sleeves are the first truly functional compression sport sleeve with a patented pressure flow technology that provide a scientifically proven increase in blood circulation and a consequent increase in performance. CEP sleeves provide more oxygen, more energy, an improved metabolization of lactic acid, and faster recovery so you can return to training quicker than ever.
So.....WHAT DID I THINK????
I first tried the Socks on a few of my 6km Tempo Runs....
* They had a great fit....I actually loved the Sock Portion of the pink socks...as someone who often suffered from blisters...not a single one...pretty darn awesome...I also noticed that after tempo runs I can sometimes have a tendency to have a bit of tightness near my Achilles....none of that with CEP...
Then I tried them on some of my Longer Sunday Runs....
*I was really worried about feeling too hot in them as we have been experiencing a Heat Wave here in Ontario....When you first put them on they are pretty darn tight however it is amazing the ventilation that you get in them...I wore them on some of the hottest runs and did not over heat...
*I liked that I had an extra bounce in my step...my calves felt super supported and my legs were less tired...I especially liked running in them the day after my tempo run...
*After a run I did not take them off right away...I would stay in my socks for as long as I possibly could in order to help with recovery...I do believe that this helped...
*I also wore them around the house after my 20km run...I did notice that my legs were fresh for when I did a 40km bike ride...
*I am not going to lie....I got a lot of comments and felt pretty darn special wearing pink socks around the trails here...
*The Sleeves...may have become one of my new favourite things....I love that I can wear my own socks...and that they are white...the pink can only match so much of my wardrobe...
*I found the sleeves extra great while biking...I plan on wearing them in my 150km bike ride this weekend with the Pink Socks as my recovery socks the next day!
All in All I am really thrilled about CEP Compression Socks and I know that I will use them for both performance and recovery!!
Thanks again CEP! You ROCK!
Have any of you tried CEP or any other compression wear??? Thoughts???