Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Dreaded IT Band Post

I think I was having some wishful thinking about running chicago without any IT band issues...In 2007 when I ran my first marathon I had some discomfort with my IT Band...It lead to new orthotics, physiotherapy,lots of icing and an altered training schedule...So far I have not had any pain...until this past week when I noticed a little outter knee pain...that is usually what starts it with me...

Here is a Definition from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.orgwikiIliotibial_band_syndrome

ITBS is one of the leading causes of lateral knee pain in runners. The iliotibial band is a superficial thickening of tissue on the outside of the thigh, extending from the outside of the pelvis, over the hip and knee, and inserting just below the knee. The band is crucial to stabilizing the knee during running, moving from behind the femur to the front while walking. The continual rubbing of the band over the lateral femoral epicondyle, combined with the repeated flexion and extension of the knee during running may cause the area to become inflamed.


ITBS symptoms range from a stinging sensation just above the knee joint (on the outside of the knee or along the entire length of the iliotibial band) to swelling or thickening of the tissue at the point where the band moves over the femur. The pain may not occur immediately during activity, but may intensify over time, especially as the foot strikes the ground. Pain might persist after activity. Pain may also be present below the knee, where the ITB actually attaches to the tibia.


Sooo for 2010 I thought that I would be proactive...I have started to go to Hot Yoga once per week to help with stretching...also after long runs I have been icing specifically at the knees and last night I started to use a Runner's World Online IT band work out routine...




I also bit the bullet and got a IT Band Roller($15.00 from RR)...A few friends of mine from Running Room have it and have raved about it...I remember using it in physio and hating it but also feeling some good relief from it...so 2010 is all about being proactive...here is the set up at home...




I am not going to go crazy just yet with the roller and stretches...I don't want to hurt myself before Sunday...so here is hoping to a happy and healthy IT band!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lish!

    (It's Beth posting - not sure how this will appear)

    Sorry to hear you're knee is starting to talk to you. As a preventative measure, I would suggest doing the half-pigeon pose, double pigeon (or firelog)pose and cow face pose once a day. Try to hold for 5 minutes on each side without a lot of fidgeting. This routine does wonders for my hips, which is where any ITB issues I've ever had have started. It's easy to do and should help keep any ITB problems from popping up.

    If you do end up with ITB problems, I would strongly recommend going immediately to ART, instead of physio. Not sure if you're familar but ART is Active Release Therapy. My chiropractor is trained and certified in in and when I had ITB problems last May, he basically cured me in 3 sessions.

    Good luck with your knee and with training! Keep up the great work!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh thanks for the info! Thanks for the Yoga poses...I am really finding that Yoga is making a difference... I would love to hear more about this ART...hopefully it isn't just someone in the Caymans that does it...Good luck to you Boston is so soon. I will be watching/tracking you online! You are such an inspiration...Still think you should come to Chicago in October.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have no problem finding an ART practitioner in Canada. ART is kind of like assisted stretching. You really feel it and it is borderline painful. That just means they've hit a good spot. It really releases all the tightness that causes a lot of these injuries in the first place. If you google it, you'll be able to find much better info than my explanation above.

    Awww, thanks! I'm considering Chicago. I have a good enough time that I can decide up until September. We'll see what happens in Boston and what my summer plans end up being once those get sorted over the next month or so. I did make a hotel reservation just in case so we'll see.

    Happy running!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete